In this guide we will cover how to set up your mail account on your iPhone with IOS 8 using ActiveSync, the same settings can also be used on an iPad.
Note: In this example we are setting up mail for the email@example.com account, when you are setting up mail replace this with your own email address. The mail server we are specifying is mail.cloudcentral.com.au, you will need to specify your mail server which will typically be mail.<yourdomain.com>, if you're unsure on the settings to use please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm.
Determine your account type
You will either be setting your account as an IMAP or ActiveSync account. IMAP accounts typically only sync mail and notes to your phone, whereas ActiveSync accounts sync mail, contacts, calendars, reminders, and notes.
All accounts are capable of being setup as IMAP however ActiveSync mailboxes are associated with an additional cost. If you are unsure as to whether or not your mailbox can use ActiveSync please check with us on email@example.com
, otherwise you can go ahead and set up using IMAP regardless.
Setting up mail
- From the home screen of your device select "Mail" as highlighted.
- From the options, select "Exchange" down the bottom as highlighted.
- Enter your full email address and password, with an optional description and select "Next" from the top right when complete.
- Fill out the email and username fields with your full email address, the mail server will typically be mail.<yourdomain.com>, leave the domain field blank and provide your password with an optional description and select "Next" from the top right when complete.
- Select what you would like to sync to your phone, mail, contacts, calendars, reminders and notes should all be enabled by default. Select "Save" from the top right when you've made your selection to continue.
- You should now be presented with your inbox as below, in this example the account is new and has no mail yet.
- To test sending and receiving functionality, send a test message to yourself.
- Wait a little bit for the message to send, you can force a refresh by pulling the screen down, if everything worked correctly you should receive the message.