In this guide we will cover how to set up your mail account on your Android phone, these same settings can be used for tablets, phones and other Android based devices.
Note: In this example we are setting up mail for the email@example.com account, when you are setting up mail replace this with your own email address. The mail server we are specifying is mail.cloudcentral.com.au, you will need to specify your mail server which will typically be mail.<yourdomain.com>, if you're unsure on the settings to use please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm.
Determine your account type
You will either be setting your account as an IMAP or ActiveSync account. IMAP accounts typically only sync mail and notes to your phone, whereas ActiveSync accounts sync mail, contacts, calendars, reminders, and notes.
All accounts are capable of being setup as IMAP however ActiveSync mailboxes are associated with an additional cost. If you are unsure as to whether or not your mailbox can use ActiveSync please check with us on email@example.com
, otherwise you can go ahead and set up using IMAP regardless.
Setting up mail
- From the home screen of your device select "Settings", you should be able to find the Email application as highlighted, opening this in Android 5.0 Lollipop will prompt you to use the Gmail application. You can instead use the Gmail application which has also been highlighted.
- From the top of the screen in the Gmail application select the symbol with the 3 lines in the top left, then select "Settings".
- From the Settings screen, select "Add account".
- From the options provided, select "Personal (IMAP/POP)" as we are setting up an IMAP account.
- For the account type select "PERSONAL (IMAP).
- Enter your email account, select "Next" from the bottom left when ready to continue.
- At the sign in screen enter the password for your mail account, select "Next" from the bottom left when ready to continue.
- For the incoming server settings, put your full email address in the username field, the password will be the password for your mail account, the mail server will typically be mail.<yourdomain.com>, leave the default port of 143 and select "Next" from the bottom left when ready to continue.
- For the outgoing server settings, set SMTP server as mail.<yourdomain.com>, port 587 should be fine to use however if you have any problems with sending mail you can try changing this to port 25. Ensure "Require sign-in" is ticked as our mail server requires SMTP authentication, you will also need to specify your full email address in the username field and your password. Select "Next" from the bottom left to proceed.
- From the account options screen select how frequently you want your phone to connect to the server and check for new mail. Once you've set your preferred settings, select "Next" from the bottom left to continue.
- Give your account an optional name so that you can identify it easily, this will help if you have other mail accounts set up. Set your name that you want others to see when they read your emails.
- From the settings screen you should now see your the account that has been set up.
- To test sending and receiving functionality, send a test message to yourself.
- Wait a little bit for the message to send, you can force a refresh by pulling the screen down, if everything worked correctly you should receive the message.