In this guide we will cover how to set up your email account in Outlook 2013 for Windows with ActiveSync.
Note: In this example we are setting up mail for the firstname.lastname@example.org account, when you are setting up mail replace this with your own email address. The mail server we are specifying is mail.cloudcentral.com.au, you will need to specify your mail server which will typically be mail.<yourdomain.com>, if you're unsure on the settings to use please contact us on email@example.com to confirm.
Determine your account type
You will either be setting your account as an IMAP or ActiveSync account. IMAP accounts typically only sync mail and notes to your phone, whereas ActiveSync accounts sync mail, contacts, calendars, reminders, and notes.
All accounts are capable of being setup as IMAP however ActiveSync mailboxes are associated with an additional cost. If you are unsure as to whether or not your mailbox can use ActiveSync please check with us on firstname.lastname@example.org
, otherwise you can go ahead and set up using IMAP regardless.
Setting up mail
- Open Outlook 2013 and select "File" from the top right hand menu bar, as highlighted below.
- Click the "Add Account" button as highlighted.
- Select "Manual setup or additional server types" and click the Next button.
- Select "Outlook.com or Exchange ActiveSync compatible service" and click the Next button.
- Enter your account information such as your name, email address, mail server and password noting that the user name field is your full email address, click Next when complete.
- The test account settings window should open showing that it was able to successfully connect, select the close button.
- On the final window click the Finish button to complete the process.
- To confirm that everything is working as expected, send a test email to yourself. If the message takes some time to show up select the send/receive button from the top menu bar and select the send/receive all folders to force Outlook to synchronize with the server.